Let's Meet Our Contenders
Twitter is an online social networking service that allows users to send and read 140 character messages or "Tweets." As of 2012, Twitter had over 500million users and generated over 340 million tweets a day.
Instagram is a social networking service that allows photo- and video- sharing using digital filter enhancements that can be shared with Facebook, Flickr, Tumblr, and Twitter without the restriction of character limits. As of 2012, Instagram had over 100 million users with a growth increase of 10 million users a month.
- I can tweet out little thoughts here and there which DON'T have to be attached to a photo.
- There are more users to connect with.
- Pictures first, words second (if at all). Because users can't comment without a first snapping a picture, viewers can get a sense of what a user likes right off the bat.
- Flickr. I love that we can share our pics with Flickr which is a photo and video hosting (storage) site.
- Comments. People tend to be nicer on Instagram. (This does not include the onslaught of harsh Miley Cyrus comments people lift under her pics.)
- Unlimited Characters. Users are not bound to 140.
- Social. There are less users, so it's easier to be social on this site.
- Worldly. Instagram seems to have more worldly users and travelers. I've connected with more users from China, Japanese, the Middle East, and Europeans on Instagram.
- The Pictures. I love pictures. They really do speak a thousand words. And I've found the most gorgeous, fantastic, WOW! photos users have taken on Instagram.
- Less posts. Since pictures come first, words second, users don't post as much.
- Too many Tweets. Some users (not all) tweet TOO MUCH, clogging the main page with useless information and overly random thoughts that no one cares about but them.
- Businesses. They should not be tweeting and peddling their products here. Twitter is not the place for them. This is what business websites and Facebook is for.
- Facebook. Twitter only allow users to share their tweets with Facebook, unless you install a widget to feed them to another site.
- Number. There are still users out there who only follow other users for number growth or "Fluffing" and if they are not followed back they un-follow. I still say users should ONLY FOLLOW USERS YOU WANT TO READ.
- Instagram. Twitter refuses to show Instagram pic. They only provide links.
- Filters. Twitters photo filters are lame compared to Instagram.
- Vine. Twitter's video app still has issues.
- Less Worldly. The bulk of the users I come in contact with are Americans. Not that there's anything wrong with this per say, its just this is a small world and I'd like to hear what other people around the world are like.
My Pet Peeves involve actual pictures. Other than this I have no other complaints.
- Shoes in a circle
- Polished fingernails
- Trash e.g. plates of half-eaten or fully-eaten plates of food--- I don't care how good it tastes. It's not appetizing and is GROSS!
- Run down buildings--- These are not cool looking ruins, People! The buildings look like crack houses and should be condemned and bulldozed down.
- Intact garbage laying in a sewer drain, pipe, or sewer system of some sort--- Ewww! Trash plus sewer sludge does NOT equal art (period)
Twitter vs. Instagram
So what do you think? Twitter or Instagram? What is your favorite go to social media site?
Next Monday, I will have a guest post by one of the coolest teens I know. She's a fashion guru. "Like I'm totally into fashion," she says in her California Valley Girl voice. Not really, but I like to tease her. Alex is going to give teen viewers four MUST HAVE looks for Fall. (Yes. She has a one-word name.) I love her spirit and tenacity.
The following week, my daughter and I battle it out. We will put up our favorite ways to eat the delicious hazelnut spread, Nutella (tm) and let you vote on which dessert is best.
"I do my best proofreading right after I hit send."